[Arm-netbook] Logos

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Jan 30 13:46:04 GMT 2017

On Monday 30. January 2017 14.33.46 Julie Marchant wrote:
> On 01/30/2017 05:25 AM, Alain Williams wrote:
> > Unfortunately that is not good enough ... you are assuming that people
> > will use the monchrome version of the logo rather than just photocopying
> > the colour one on a monochrome copyier.
>
> You can easily prevent that with a trademark policy... and why would
> someone choose to make their own half-baked monochrome conversion when a
> proper one is available?

People are lazy. Have you never seen anyone copy-paste the first image they
found on the Internet into a Word document and then send it around?

People even manage to do this for materials they have full access to, as in
there will be a bunch of properly-done logos all made ready (at great expense)
on some shared disk or intranet site, and yet someone will still just take the
shortcut of grabbing the nearest low resolution bitmap from Google, drag at
the corners of it in their Word document, and then, "What do you mean by the
vector/big/small/monochrome/greyscale version?"

At a former employer, the work done on the logo to specify the colours and
profiles was possibly some of the best work I saw done at that company. Shame
the logo wasn't very good, though.

Paul