[Arm-netbook] Logos

Parobalth parobalth at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 21:03:02 GMT 2017

After reading all replies and thinking about them I realized that I have
unintentionally made some mistakes and also did not communicate clear
enough.
Because of the discussion about intel-cards and chinese clones I took
inspiration from other certification marks and sigils. What I called a
placeholder logo in my previous email should have been called a
placeholder certification sigil.
It is correct that a logo needs to be quite scalable and that too much
text or text at all can be problematic especially when you need it
rather small as an icon.
On Wednesday I made some quick sketches and tests around the ideas to
use a big capital "E" and somehow fill in the other letters. To get
enough space I stretched the "E" and realized that I know an already
existing logo working on the same principle: It is the logo of the
Electronic Frontier Foundation that you can see here:
https://www.eff.org/press/logos
This can be a problem and I don't want the EOMA68 logo to look like a
rip-off. Without stretching the "E" space inside the letter is quite
limited. I also try to avoid designs where the letters "OMA" stand out
too much because it means grandmother in german and german is my native
language.

Today I decided to work with the base forms of the placeholder sigil --
blue circle and green circuit board. As requested I turned the card 90°
counter-clockwise. I added a second circle and while testing another
idea I coincidentally deformed the circle. I have to admit that I like
the result very much. It still represents green earth and blue ocean but
also an inserted computer card.
You can see it here:
https://www.parobalth.org/eoma-logo/EOMA68-base-form.png
And with text underneath:
https://www.parobalth.org/eoma-logo/EOMA68-base-form-text.png

I used a mono spaced font.
It may also look good to use a VGA-font for the text as a reference to
text-terminals and classic hackerdom but I could not find one already
available for the graphical user interface.

Some thoughts to other mentioned ideas:
I do not like the cat idea but maybe can be convinced by a clever
designed cat logo. :)
The idea about a dot in the "O" of EOMA made me think of fonts where the
dot is in the 0 (zero) to distinguish it from O (capital letter O) As we
all are somehow computer related I would find such a design confusing.
I can not contribute to ideas with "proper historical reference to
hacktivism and groups like anonymous" because I am not familiar with
their conventions.

More to come...but not today.
Goodnight!