[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 In A Intel Card World?

Parobalth parobalth at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 20:37:21 GMT 2017

> On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 6:42 PM, Parobalth <parobalth at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I can write down some of my ideas which currently live relatively
> > unstructured in my head if it is seen as a good idea by Luke and the
> > community.
>
>On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 12:36:14PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
>wrote:
>  go for it, it's always helpful.

To promote EOMA68-A20 and the housings I think we need shiny Images,
Graphics, Comics, Videos to get the message across. I try to focus on
the soon available products. I agree with Allan and Alain that a logo is
needed. For the .gif under A) I created a placeholder logo that you can
view here: https://www.parobalth.org/EOMA68.png Maybe we can build on
the idea of the green circuit board (earth) and the blue circle (ocean)
which symbolize our planet.

A) Explain the concept:
Have a look at this small .gif
(https://www.parobalth.org/EOMA68-A20.gif) where I used images from the
crowd supply campaign to illustrate the idea. Be warned that I just
quickly hacked it together.
I propose to refine the message (better content and flawless execution)
and to do similar ones for upgrades, use cases...

B) Problem and Lukes Story:
Status Quo: In the digital age we are used to throw away computers
because of multiple reasons: forced-upgrades, upgrades, unrepairable
(costs / no spareparts), shiny-new-syndrom.
Solution: One man had the vision to create eco-conscious,
freedom-respecting, money-saving, modular hardware. Luke Kenneth Casson
Leighton the developer and guardian of the EOMA68 standard has been
working fiercly for the past years to make his vision come true.
Currently he is on site in China and Taiwang to fulfill the successful
crowdfunding campaign. EOMA68 becomes a reality in Spring 2017 with the
EOMA68-A20 computer card, the micro desktop and a 15" Laptop Housing.
Preorder now!

C) Examples of User Groups:
I separated 4 main user groups to emphasize the message. They certainly
don't exist as separate entities in reality. In reality there are
multiple overlapping reasons for EOMA68. For example concerning myself
1. and 3. are the main reasons I backed the project. Someone only
looking for good enough computing with a low environmental footprint
doesn't have to be "welcomed" and scared away by datasheets and
technical mumbo jumbo.

Every group has a "catchy" motto in parenthesis:

1. FLOSS/Libre/Security/Privacy (Compute like no one is watching):
* RYF certification
* Libre
* lowest common denominator
* truly libre strategy
* Right to freedom of opinion and expression; access to the
* Internet is a basic human right: "the same rights people have
* offline must also be protected online."
* mass surveillance, NSA
* no backdoors
* secure
* made by someone who cares
* mainline support
* non modifiable readable BootROM
* no NDAs
* firmware and kernel sources GPL

2. Non-Technical (Solutions not problems):
* Pop it in it will work
* share housings/cards with family members
* money-saving
* pre-installed OS
* works out of the box

3. Eco-Conscious (reduce, reuse, recycle):
* low power consumption
* off grid computing solution
* modular
* 3D-Print replacement parts
* print locally (reduces shipping and saves
* shipping costs for tiny plastic parts)
* repairable
* Factory conditions and production (@Luke can
  you add some information)
* good enough computing
* minimalistc, reduce stuff, travel light ->
* go for just a bare computer card
* reduce, reuse, recycle
* stop forced upgrades which force you to
* throw away a working computer

4. Developer/Maker (Show me everything):
* CAD-Files available
* schematics
* datasheets
* no NDAs
* firmware and kernel sources GPL
* print your own parts
* build your custom solution

D) Personal Stories:
It may be a good idea to collect some personal stories.
For example I bought a Netbook 5 years ago and use it a lot. If I
would use a non-free OS the netbook would already be obsolete (forced
upgrade). Recently I noticed that I wish the netbook to be just a
netbook housing and that I just could upgrade the computer card and
double the RAM (the netbook only has 1GB).

E) Catchy slogans:
Be part of the revolution!
No more forced-upgrades!
Live the manufacturers nightmare!
Break the throw-away cycle - start the age of modular good-enough
computing!

If you have critique, questions, suggestions, thoughts and comments
please let me know. Collaboratin is very welcome.