[Arm-netbook] First laptop dock for Intel's card announced

Julie Marchant onpon4 at riseup.net
Mon Jan 23 03:08:20 GMT 2017

On 01/22/2017 05:32 PM, ryan wrote:
> Now, what about the laptop chassis? EOMA68 currently has a $500 chassis
> available. I haven't seen any volume pricing or other options for
> reducing the price down to a level more managable for a "normie" who's
> used to $200-300 throwaway laptops. $500 for an "empty shell" is really
> easy for a behomoth like Intel to beat. Heck, they could do a
> fully-fledged laptop casing and include a Windows-capable compute card
> for less than that because they have more money to play with, and could
> even sell at a loss to build marketshare.

I think one of the videos had Luke saying that it would probably be
~$300 at mass volume.

In any case, the current EOMA68 laptop has something else you're leaving
out: the fact that it is built of several easily obtainable parts, with
everything else 3-D printed. Meaning it's *repairable*. The laptop
mentioned for Intel compute cards is just a standard laptop case.

Also, I would like to point out that the laptop is *not* made by Intel.
It's made by a small company that made a similar product in the past
(utilizing things like smartphones) through IndieGoGo. I seriously doubt
Intel will directly subsidize them, so they won't be able to sell their
laptop chassis at a loss. Unless there's some kind of license fee that
needs to be paid out, Intel probably isn't even aware of the project.

What's it going to cost, anyway? I don't see any indication of what it's
going to cost, or any concrete information, really. It could be more
expensive than the EOMA68 15" laptop, for all we know.

--
Julie Marchant
https://onpon4.github.io

Protect your emails with GnuPG: