[Arm-netbook] Question about resolution on the micro-desktop

Christian Kellermann ckeen at pestilenz.org
Mon Jan 16 09:43:50 GMT 2017

* Adam Van Ymeren <adam.vany at gmail.com> [170114 04:49]:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 8:39 PM, Lyberta <lyberta at lyberta.net> wrote:
> >>  i'm not going to make any such restrictions in software.  if someone
> >> plugs in a 1080p VGA monitor, and through the EDID interface it's
> >> detected, and the OS and the SoC is capable of it, good for them.
> >
> > And what if there is no EDID?
>
> Then you're using a really esoteric display and you'll have to
> manually configure the modes in your software.

>From my experience there are a *lot* of monitors out there with a
strange understanding of the EDID standard. But if that fails linux
will do a lot of guesswork to get it right, or you would have to
manually fiddle with it.

EDID is also one of the many standards that I have written that
contradict themselves on the *same* page several times...

And it is behind the big scary NDA wall so one cannot verify any of my
claims of course...

Cheers,

Christian

--
May you be peaceful, may you live in safety, may you be free from
suffering, and may you live with ease.