[Arm-netbook] Question about resolution on the micro-desktop

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jan 13 16:26:32 GMT 2017

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 4:19 PM, Julie Marchant <onpon4 at riseup.net> wrote:
> On 01/13/2017 10:42 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>  that's incorrect.  you're perfectly entitled to try resolutions
>> beyond that which are required by the EOMA68 specification (however do
>> not be surprised if it doesn't actually work).
>>
>>  in the case of the A20 Card, the RGB/TTL output *happens* to be
>> capable of driving up to 1920x1080 @ 60fps, which happens to be well
>> beyond what i would expect the PCMCIA interface to cope with without
>> creating EMF interference (which will be your problem to deal with if
>> you go beyond the specification).
>
> Ah, OK then.
>
> So what does it look like on the side of the OS?

 that's entirely going to depend on what OS and what Card you have.

> If you're using a 1080p
> monitor and it turns out that the card is capable of 1080p through
> RGB/TTL, does the OS automatically know this, or does it still think
> (without manual intervention) that some smaller resolution like 1366x768
> is the maximum?

 i'm not going to make any such restrictions in software.  if someone
plugs in a 1080p VGA monitor, and through the EDID interface it's
detected, and the OS and the SoC is capable of it, good for them.

 the problem comes if they then *rely* on that... hmmm...

>>  bottom line: if you develop an app that violates the EOMA68
>> specification, then your clients all upgrade (without telling you) to
>> a future card and they *ALL* complain "your app dun't wurk no more",
>> don't come crying to me :)
>
> Right, I was wondering more from the perspective of the end-user. The
> main reason I'm wondering is because the monitor my mom currently uses
> has a native resolution of 1280x1024 (one of those old monitors from
> around 2000 or so).

 yeah that miiight be okay... it's a full 30% higher than the EOMA68
spec (in terms of the number of pixels) so is definitely out-of-spec,
but you might get lucky.