[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 In A Intel Card World?

Tor, the Marqueteur Marqueteur at FineArtMarquetry.com
Thu Jan 12 08:50:36 GMT 2017

On 11/01/17 21:11, Allan Mwenda wrote:
> A proper clone [of an EOMA68 card] to me would
> 1. Be up to standard hardware wise
Looks good
> 2. Run the same software as the Libre Tea/Numero Uno variants (or a
> perhaps a Chinese distro like Deep in) but hopefully not some pirated
> windows IoT
My impression is that EOMA68 is Libre Hardware.  Last I checked, one of
the tenets of Libre Hardware is that the hardware runs anything the owner
of the HW feels like coercing into running on the device.

> For 2. I think it should be clear from you these things run gnu/linux in
> the documentation.
A suggestion might work, but there are other things one might conceivably
run that are also Libre Software without being GNU/Linux.  BSD comes to
mind, but AFAICT, there is nothing stopping someone from producing a
purpose built embedded system for a card, or even a card that doesn't
make sense to put in half the EOMA68 housings because of the way that
embedded system works, as long as it provides the proper signals on the
proper pins.

EOMA50 would be better for it, but something like a digital audio player
might like an OS tailored to understand its buttons, and the card with
that OS installed on it might be a bit screwy to use for a laptop (or
phone).  Nevertheless, IIUC, as long as nothing will blow up, and you get
some semblance of usable output, it's still OK by the standard.

Tor

--
Tor Chantara
http://www.fineartmarquetry.com/