[Arm-netbook] Why I think the Intel "Compute Card" will ultimately fail, and why it won't hurt this project

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Jan 8 17:26:38 GMT 2017

---

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 4:32 PM, James L <james6.28318530 at gmail.com> wrote:

> First off, I don't think Intel's product will actually succeed. Why?
> Corporations make money by selling the next product at the end
> of the life of the product. In this case, though, unless Intel is
> getting into the refrigerator business and every other business
> they plan to release every upgradeable product into, every
> company in the deal must be making money by selling the next
> product. Intel won't have a problem with this, as people will
> happily buy the "brains" upgrade, but the partner companies
> will not be able to sell upgrades without making significant
> improvements to their products (other than RAM, processor,
> etc.) which will make the products more expensive or increase
> their life cycle (both things making the partner company
> uncompetitive). So, if any company makes any kind of products,
> it will be a single more expensive one, with poor quality parts so
> that it will fail sooner rather than later.

  if intel opened up the standard, such that the companies could drop
intel at any time and use a lower-cost ARM or MIPS SoC, then the
standard actually has a chance of success.

 if however it's mandatory to have PCIe and USB 3.1 or some extremely
high-end interface, which basically says "intel only guys, sorry" or
if intel says "no.. and if you try we'll stop supplying you with our
processors", then yes you're absolutely right, it's dead.

 i noticed recently that LG just dropped their modular phone concept.
"no buyers".  900,000 supporters of the phonebloks campaign and 350
MILLION people reached world-wide is not enough??  it says there's
something wrong.  oh wait, i know!  LG didn't publish the interfaces
as an open standard....

 google? worked with a group of 3rd party companies that took google's
money to create MIPI UniPro chipsets, patented the standard and
implementation(s) locking *anyone* out for the next 20 years... then
acted surprised when dave hakkans absolutely slated them on his
website after they failed to make anything remotely like he'd
envisioned, four years prior.