[Arm-netbook] passthrough, a20 and rk3288 cards

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Feb 22 13:58:48 GMT 2017

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Albert ARIBAUD <albert.aribaud at free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le Wed, 22 Feb 2017 11:46:07 +0100
> dumblob <dumblob at gmail.com> a écrit:
>
>> Hi Luke,
>>
>> speaking of commitments, timeframes and the equipment price, it
>> appears to me we could develop and provide a fully working QEMU image
>> to break the current dependecy on EOMA HW (of course, in the end it
>> will be tested on a real HW, but the global parallel development of
>> anything regarding EOMA will be much easier and faster using QEMU).
>>
>> Would it make sense to you?
>
> I may be mistaken, but I suspect that would require allwinner SoC, and
> current qemu-system-arm does not support any AW SoC, so for every
> device used by the code we'd run under QEMU we would have to developed
> some emulation. Probably such a QEMU addition would be done and
> sufficiently stable way after the hardware is available.

 a generic u-boot (arm) and generic arm linux kernel would be
sufficient (one that supports at least a generic 16550 uart would do)

 that would be enough to test the devicetree overlay code in a
*generic* way (which it has to be anyway).

 reading the EEPROM *has* to be a generic processor-independent
action, because you can have literally any processor type (or not even
a processor - even an FPGA) reading the I2C 0x51 addressed EEPROM.