[Arm-netbook] passthrough, a20 and rk3288 cards

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Feb 22 10:30:29 GMT 2017

---

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Albert ARIBAUD <albert.aribaud at free.fr> wrote:

>>  u-boot development, kernel development, os preparation, packaging,
>> upstreaming - anything like that.
>
> I can do U-Boot development/mainlineing, but before I commit myself, I'd
> need to know what the time frame and deadlines would be.

 as a software libre project i'm not comfortable with specifying
deadlines to people: that's not fair so i'm not going to do that.
also, timeframe: i have a working version of u-boot (non mainline), it
works, it ain't broke, i ain't gonna try to "fix" it.

 there are however some very specific things that need to be done for
mainline u-boot:

 (1) EOMA68 I2C EEPROM @ addr 0x51 reading library.  very simple: read
32 bits, format similar to USB device ids, return major/minor numbers

 (2) devicetree overlays (which should be in u-boot mainline already:
if it isn't, it needs to be added)

 (3) microdesktop dtb overlay needs to be written (as a first example)

 (4) fixing the silly, silly decision(s) which were made *without*
consulting any of the projects (of which there are several, *only one
of which* is the EOMA68-A20 Card) that require devicetree overlays for
the *video* aspect of their hardware, where it is ASSUMED in the sunxi
mainline u-boot that the video WILL be initialised EXCLUSIVELY by
u-boot and is to be left AS-IS by the linux kernel (as a
simpleframebuffer).  there IS no support for changing, setting,
altering, or interacting with the video hardware IN ANY WAY other than
that which was initialised BY u-boot at boot time.

this last one will take time as it will involve talking to a lot of
people.  that's fine: we have the sunxi 3.4 kernel in the meantime.