[Arm-netbook] Logging and journaling

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Sat Feb 11 16:29:35 GMT 2017

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> writes:

> https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/01/24/systemd_flaw/
>
> "Newer" versions of systemd deployed by Fedora or Ubuntu have been
> secured, but Debian systems are still running an older version and
> therefore need updating.

You appear to be in full confirmation-bias mode when it comes to
systemd, and thus will accept any criticism of systemd as truth without
applying any critical thinking at all.

That makes your signal to noise ratio on this subject _really_ poor.

In this particular case, the vunlerability was in systemd v228.

No release version of Debian has ever shipped that version.

The version in Debian stable is 215-17+deb8u6 -- so was never
vulnerable.

That's why there's no DSA (Debian Security Alert) related to this.

Of course, I don't know why I'm bothering to point this out.  As I said,
confirmation bias means that none of you that despise systemd will take
the slightest notice, and I see that recent sociological research shows
that doing things like debunking Trump's unusual versions of reality
actually hardens the views of his supporters, becuase people are
cheerful to assume that the source of the critism is fatally biased, and
then spend mental effort on contradicting what is being said by coming
up with counter-arguments, which they then remeber for later.  *sigh*

Cheers, Phil.