[Arm-netbook] Enough Space in the 15.6" laptop housing for an SSD?

Mike Leimon leimon at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 00:04:13 GMT 2017

In light of all the recent discussions about journaling filesystems and
system logging on systems with flash storage. I'm a feeling a bit curious
to to know if there is enough space within that included "internal" usb
cavity of the 15.6" laptop housing to be able to house a small M.2 42mm usb
device.

I'm thinking about a device like the following:

https://www.amazon.com/Crest-NGFF-SATA-Enclosure-SY-ENC25040/dp/B0146DD6KM/

Perhaps if/when there is a rev 2 of the Laptop housing, it might be worth
considering the creation and inclusion of an additional board which would
both provide a built-in usb to SATA adapter as well as provide a location
to install an M.2 SATA drive (with huge bonus points if it can support an
80mm drive).

I might be an oddball but, I would also love to see the inclusion of a
dedicated M.2 SATA board to the upcoming EOMA68 tablet design (even if
there would only be room for a 42mm variant) to be a huge plus.

I think that being able to use M.2 SATA drives would be a huge step up in
quality from using uSD cards both from a reliability standpoint as well as
speed. Also, if USB -> M.2 SATA board created was a USB3.0 device it would
pretty much be able to run the SSDs at their full speed.