[Arm-netbook] Logging and journaling

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Feb 9 21:03:39 GMT 2017

On Thursday 9. February 2017 21.23.19 Jonathan Frederickson wrote:
> I agree with Julie here. If you tell users you're providing Debian, it
> should be stock Debian (or as close as possible as is needed to
> support the hardware). Likewise for every other distro.

I agree with Jonathan and Julie here. ;-)

Let the distinction between Debian and Devuan be the means by which people
choose to run systemd or not. After all, that is more or less the reason why
there are two such distributions rather than one. [*]

By all means indicate why you do not agree with systemd, but instead of making
more work for yourself, may I respectfully suggest that you just let people
switch their order from Debian to Devuan if they agree with you now, perhaps
not having thought about the matter before?

And let people switch the other way (or to something else) if they agree with
your view of Devuan and actually want the option of having systemd from first
power-on. As for people who agree with you on both systemd and Devuan's
attitude towards it, I guess you could just see if this affects anyone who
placed an order.

Paul

[*] There are supposedly improvements in the distribution-building process
with Devuan, which I thought could be of interest to various libre
distributions - removing unwanted packages and content is what they do, after
all - but the documentation isn't that great for any of these distributions in
informing what the possibilities might be.