[Arm-netbook] Logging and journaling

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Thu Feb 9 15:37:50 GMT 2017

On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 02:59:02PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> ---
> crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
>

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Stefan Monnier <monnier at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>
> > W.r.t to logging, I've agree that you're probably better off logging to
> > RAM (or to a remote host) than to a local "disk", and AFAIK that's the
> > default behavior of systemd anyway.
>
>  with the exception of fedora which has only a few backers i will NOT
> be distributing a filesystem which contains the completely
> unethically-developed and very dangerous systemd application.  having
> evaluated its development, watched the predicted security
> vulnerabilities unfold and cause massive disruption, and witnessed its
> "ram it down people's throats" deployment without due consideration or
> consultation with end-users, nor the distros respecting end-users
> rights to NOT be forced into using it, i cannot and will not be
> associated or endorse such totally unethical behaviour, so will be
> removing it from all rootfs images. post-distribution, if people then
> wish to undo that because they find systemd to be useful and have no
> objections to its usage they are entirely free to do so.

I very much like systemd and can hardly see myself using a system
without it. Thus I will personally want to have systemd on my systems.
Please don't make that too difficult a task for me.

That is: you don't like systemd? fine. Installing Debian without it is
rather simple:
https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Installing_without_systemd
In that case, all I'll have to do would be to install a few more
packages (and maybe disable syslog logging to reduce unnecessary disk
writes, and similar tweaks).

However, if "removing it from the rootfs" means something similar to
Devuan, then It'll probably be simpler for me to reinstall the image
with a proper Debian system.

Please don't make my life complicated.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is