[Arm-netbook] USB3.1 pinout

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Feb 5 13:18:01 GMT 2017

---

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 11:44 AM, Internet <internet at devpi.de> wrote:
> Hey there!
>
> I was wondering about the USB3.1 pinout in the EOMA68 standard. In my
> research on the USB Type C connector I found out that USB3.1
> (Superspeed+) has only two differential signal pairs (one for receiving,
> one for transmitting)

http://pinoutguide.com/Slots/usb-type-c_pinout.shtml

two for receiving, two for transmitting, each 5gbit/s for a total of
10gb/sec.  the connector and thus the pinouts are rotatable by 180
degrees so the pinouts on the first 12 pins (top row) are *identical*
layout to the second 12 pins (bottom row) except in the reverse order.
D+ and D- (the USB2 pins) are *missing* on one row of the receptacle
so that you don't connect them up twice (which would be bad).

you *may* be thinking of USB 3.0 which is connector-compatible with
USB 2.0 and is what you find on most laptops and desktop computers
these days:

http://pinoutguide.com/Slots/usb_3_0_connector_pinout.shtml

that is *only* one set of (5gbit/sec) tx-rx differential pairs.

scared me for a minute that i'd messed it up... :)