[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 / Libre RISC-V team financing

Sam Huntress samhuntress at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 14:44:59 GMT 2017

> if people published their private wallet addresses then yes.
No. The entire point of public/private key pairs is that you can prove you
own the pair without revealing the private key.
https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/58792/proof-of-address-ownership

We can use the bitcoin ledger (blockchain) to see what address every mining
reward went to. This mining pool needs to prove they own one or more of
those addresses in order to be trusted. They do this by privately signing
some arbitrary challenge using the private key associated with the public
key to which the mining reward was assigned. That public key (that we know
from looking at the blockchain owns the BTC awarded through mining) is then
used to confirm the signature thus confirming that the mining pool does
indeed own that key pair and therefor did actually receive the BTC for
mining that block.

We can then look at the BTC<->USD exchange rates and see if the payouts
from this mining pool are within reason.

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 4:16 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net