[Arm-netbook] HDMI High-Frequency Layout: Libre Field Solvers

Richard Wilbur richard.wilbur at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 01:24:39 BST 2017

HDMI Layout Notes
for EOMA68 Cards
by Richard Wilbur

Libre Field Solvers[24]
(Free Computational Electromagnetic Modeling Codes list at the Clemson
University Vehicular Electronics Laboratory)

Name        License    URL
Angora    GPL        http://www.angorafdtd.org/
atlc - Arbitrary Transmission Line Calculator (for transmission lines
and directional couplers)
        GPL        http://atlc.sourceforge.net/
Elmer        GPL/LGPL    https://www.csc.fi/web/elmer
EMAP        BSD-esque?    http://www.cvel.clemson.edu/modeling/EMAG/EMAP/emap5/
FastImp    MIT        http://www.rle.mit.edu/cpg/fastimp.htm
GSVIT        GPL        http://gsvit.net/
MEEP        GPL        http://ab-initio.mit.edu/wiki/index.php/Meep
MMTL - Multilayer Multiconductor Transmission Line
        GPL        http://mmtl.sourceforge.net/
openEMS    GPLv3+    http://openems.de/start/index.php
OpenMaXwell
        GPLv3+    http://openmax.ethz.ch/
        (runs on Linux under wine)
pdnMesh    GPLv2        http://pdnmesh.sourceforge.net/
Puma-EM    GPLv2        https://sourceforge.net/projects/puma-em/
WOLFSIM    GPLv2        https://sourceforge.net/projects/wolfsim/
xfemm - Cross-platform Finite Element Method Magnetics
        Aladdin Free Public License, Apache Licence v2.0
                https://sourceforge.net/projects/xfemm/

These are the field solvers that had what I understood to be a libre
license from Clemson's list.  There are fourteen packages here that
made the cut and align with the goals of this project.  I have no
familiarity nor expertise with any of them or I would be in a better
position to make a recommendation.  It would be useful to be able to
model not only the differential microstrip structure with ground
shield traces and vias, but also signal vias for tuning them to
transparency.