[Arm-netbook] Solid wood corner prototype

Tor, the Marqueteur Marqueteur at FineArtMarquetry.com
Sun Apr 30 22:05:37 BST 2017

On 30/04/17 04:19, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

>  my only concern is: it's gonna take forever to machine 2000 parts,
> which would need to be turned twice through 90 degrees *in different
> axes*.  that's a 5-axis CNC which starts to get a bit hairy.

The other direction to avoid 5-axis would be to make strips about 3' long
of appropriate size.  Mill the dados with a suitable blade in a mini
table saw.  A router in table can handle the corners for radius
consistency, or P150 in a palm sander (as I used) can do pretty nicely.
Then do a sanding of that in 3' lengths.

At this point, except for one lip by the dado that's nearly a rabbet the
entire thing becomes a 3-axis flat milling operation.  Even that one I
suspect could be done by letting the cutter making the rabbet run just
past the PCB slot and tolerating the radius.

>From there, the possibilities diverge.  One option is to cut to corner
length pieces and find a way to secure them in a CNC.  This has the
advantage of a consistent point to index from, but requires filling a jig
with lots of little pieces.

The other option is to load lengths into the CNC, but then either you
need the CNC to cut it for accuracy or you have to reference a CNC edge
for later cutting, because a small error in length will accumulate fast
and throw the whole thing out of tolerance.

Last would be drilling the holes.  I just made a mark, lined several up
in the vise on my milling machine, and ran across them.  Not hard, but it
would get a little tedious for 2000.

Looking another way, if the extrusion mold mentioned isn't so difficult,
then you just need about 170' of custom extrusion to load into the CNC or
cut into pieces and load.

Tor

--
Tor Chantara