[Arm-netbook] libre 64-bit risc-v SoC

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Apr 28 15:17:08 BST 2017

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 3:05 PM, Bill Kontos <vkontogpls at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is the most interesting article I've read in a long time. Like machine
> learning but on an fpga... and analog!!!

 more than that: analog on a *digital* chip!  and using E.M. effects
(cross-talk) to make up the circuit!  i'm just amazed... but perhaps
it should not be unexpected.

 the rest of the article makes a really good point, which has me
deeply concerned now that there are fuckwits out there making
"driverless" cars, toying with people's lives in the process.  you
have *no idea* what unexpected decisions are being made, what has been
"optimised out".

 with aircraft it's a different matter: the skies are clear, it's a
matter of physics and engineering, and the job of taking off, landing
and changing direction is, if extremely complex, actually just a
matter of programming.  also, the PILOT IS ULTIMATELY IN CHARGE.

 cars - where you could get thrown unexpected completely unanticipated
scenarios involving life-and-death decisions - are a totally different
matter.

 the only truly ethical way to create "driverless" cars is to create
an actual *conscious* machine intelligence with which you can have a
conversation, and *TEACH* it - through a rational conversation - what
the actual parameters are for (a) the laws of the road (b) moral
decisions regarding life-and-death situations.

 applying genetic algorithms to driving of vehicles is a stupid,
stupid idea because you cannot tell what has been "optimised out" -
just as the guy from this article says.