[Arm-netbook] SoC warp soldering risk?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Apr 28 12:12:32 BST 2017

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 10:40 AM, Bill Kontos <vkontogpls at gmail.com> wrote:
> The octa core SoCs available right now are rather terrible when it comes to
> heat and power management

yyeah, that's no surprise.  what's really nice about RISC-V btw is
that it's something mad like a 40% performance-watt improvement over
ARM in the same geometry.

> ( like the kirn 960) and we are rather limited by
> the fact that everything has to run on libre software

 well, there are plenty of companies that _don't_ (so it makes no
sense to copy them or compete with them).... and the burden is
enormous on absolutely everybody.  yet nobody's even *tried* an
entirely libre approach *despite clearly knowing the advantages*!

 http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Intel-and-Valve-collaborate-to-develop-open-source-graphics-drivers-1649632.html