[Arm-netbook] SPI-based LCDs, 3D printing, RISC-V

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Apr 28 08:34:21 BST 2017

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 8:07 AM, John Luke Gibson <eaterjolly at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since there seems like a lot of options, I propose selecting from
> Bluey's list the 3D printer'er that has the least interest in patents.
> Ultimately, I think it would be most undesirable to really commission
> any company to do the printing, but should it be necessary the
> heaviest expectation we should have for them is not burdening society
> with their trolling of anyone who else wants to improve the quality of
> a thing.

 agreed.  everyone in the 3d printing community knows of makerrrbot's betrayal.

> I realize that poorly sourcing materials here and now, sets a bad
> precedent down the road, but the impact of a single run is not going
> to be that impactful and we can recover from that bad precedent by
> either putting heavier pressure on later or leaving it up to the
> individual for their own printing filament sources.

 it's in the update that's pending but the quality of most PLA is just
absolutely dreadful.  one easy test is to just leave the filament in
the hot-end, with the spring-loaded hub pressurising it, for two
weeks.  if at any time the filament simply... falls off under
pressure, it's sub-standard quality and should be *returned* for a
refund.

 the only filament that i've yet found which is of a consistent high
quality is from faberdashery in the UK.  i am however testing out
something from the aliexpress company which they call "T-Pla", it's
about the same cost as faberdashery.

 but bottom line is: no absolutely not it cannot be just left to
chance - the material *has* to be properly checked, whoever is chosen
to do the 3D printing.

 if if is sub-standard PLA the laptop will *literally* fall apart in
people's hands, with the LCD crashing onto the table or, if someone is
carrying it half the components will drop on the floor with the other
half still in their hands.

 also while it would be nice to use e.g. carbon fibre reinforced PLA
that's not possible either, because the carbon fibre is highly
abrasive and also blocks up small (0.4mm) nozzles.  only 0.5mm and
above is recommended but the design is *very* specifically targetted
for 0.4mm (maybe below) nozzles.