[Arm-netbook] SPI-based LCDs, 3D printing, RISC-V

Christian Kellermann ckeen at pestilenz.org
Thu Apr 27 13:00:16 BST 2017

* Adam Van Ymeren <adam at vany.ca> [170427 13:49]:
> On April 27, 2017 6:50:39 AM EDT, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> >ok so a quick status update:
> >
> >* Frida, in Shenzhen, have a customer currently ordering their 2.8in
> >FRD280J3703D SPI-based LCD.  this means it's possible to place an
> >order for less than the normal MOQ of 1,000 so we go with that one for
> >the 15in laptop.
> >
> >* i calculated that for the microdesktop i have an ENTIRE MONTH of
> >3d-printing to do, and a YEAR for the laptop.  there's an update going
> >out about this soon but basically i need help.  ideas or actual
> >practical help.
>
> Are there companies that you could hire to do the bulk of the 3d printing?  Any idea what the quality and/or cost would be?
>
> Is there any feasibility of producing the laptop parts via injection molding, but preserving the design in a way that end users could still print replacement parts?  Seems like this would require a large redesign investment but could save time and money manufacturing.

Injection molds are magnitudes more expensive to make, so it would be
an even higher barrier of entry.

As the current issue is time in producing them I would also scratch
the printed parts order myself, maybe in exchange for a discount on
future designs done by Luke and print them myself. People with access
to a maker lab could consider doing the same...

I am not capable to promise good quality printing for 3rd parties as I
have been starting getting into this for a rather short while now...

I think decentralisation and printing on demand is the only sensible
way to do this unless one of the bigger companies like Shapeways jump
aboard, almost likely adding additional costs on top...

my 2 cents...

--
May you be peaceful, may you live in safety, may you be free from
suffering, and may you live with ease.