[Arm-netbook] SPI-based LCDs, 3D printing, RISC-V

Adam Van Ymeren adam at vany.ca
Thu Apr 27 12:48:48 BST 2017

On April 27, 2017 6:50:39 AM EDT, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
>ok so a quick status update:
>
>* Frida, in Shenzhen, have a customer currently ordering their 2.8in
>FRD280J3703D SPI-based LCD.  this means it's possible to place an
>order for less than the normal MOQ of 1,000 so we go with that one for
>the 15in laptop.
>
>* i calculated that for the microdesktop i have an ENTIRE MONTH of
>3d-printing to do, and a YEAR for the laptop.  there's an update going
>out about this soon but basically i need help.  ideas or actual
>practical help.

Are there companies that you could hire to do the bulk of the 3d printing?  Any idea what the quality and/or cost would be?

Is there any feasibility of producing the laptop parts via injection molding, but preserving the design in a way that end users could still print replacement parts?  Seems like this would require a large redesign investment but could save time and money manufacturing.