[Arm-netbook] Certification Mark: My hat in the Ring

John Luke Gibson eaterjolly at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 06:44:14 BST 2017

On 4/21/17, John Luke Gibson <eaterjolly at gmail.com> wrote:
> See, now the symbolism only looks religious if your not looking at
> where the symbols are taken from. The Blender logo is an eye, which is
> supposed to be emphasized by the switching of the eyelash in the
> traditional one with a different one. Inside of the fish, the eye then
> thusly makes the whole a fisheye. The suggestion is that we are
> looking at the broader picture, as would be seen with a fisheye lens.
>
> On 4/20/17, Christopher Havel <laserhawk64 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Speaking as someone who has consciously opted out of religion, has better
>> things to do than contemplate faith, and is a self-confessed "kinda
>> strange
>> guy"...
>>
>> That logo is more than a wee bit off kilter. The phrase I would use in
>> polite company would probably be "remarkably doofy", because that's how I
>> roll. But, "a bit too weird" works very well also ;) Sorry, but that one
>> looks very much fated for a one-way ticket to /dev/null. Try, try again!
>> (Speaking as an artist, which I am -- I throw away *tons* more than I
>> keep.
>> Oh -- and people tell me I'm pretty dang good. I'm not interested in
>> arguing...)

If you actually think any deeper about the possible analogy to a
religious fish than surface value, it doesn't make any sense as it
comes from an ancient story about less becoming more simply by sharing
it. This human endeavor of ours, has really nothing to do with that.
Our computers won't multiply by taking existing ones from the wild,
breaking them in half and giving out the halves. Besides the
suggestion that the fish is for killing and then eating, offends my
vegan sensibilities.

If anything, perhaps a bit of re-scaling the letters in the image and
using microsoft's M (to make it less serif and thereby less gothic)
instead of macintosh's (original macintosh and microsoft's M from back
when windows 95 came out). As much as we involved with Gnu tend to
hate those groups, they had the goal at those points in history of
making a masterpiece of a computer so that the world would advance and
not abandon computing as soul-less gimmick. Even if those groups are
destined to dissolve, and even if they've both lasted long enough to
become the villain, we owe them. I was originally going to flip the
windows W upside down almost in spiteful mockery that it (modern
windows) is anything but modular, but then I realized that even if we
find ourselves needing to suppress the unyielding madness of these
old-and-senile giants in our present, we must still honor their memory
as they did accomplish something wonderful once upon a time. Even to
the detractors of this assertion that might say Unix would have
evolved regardless, I say nay for no person would lustfully wish to
learn to build a machine that they knew not could house a part of
their soul. These developers built machines with a culture behind them
and did so such that the culture could house millions of individuals
and with part each one's own individual spirit.