[Arm-netbook] About, the rk processor.

zap zapper at openmailbox.org
Mon Apr 17 00:42:50 BST 2017

On 04/16/2017 06:53 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 10:56 PM, zap <zapper at openmailbox.org> wrote:
>> something interesting I saw is that in the update picking a processor,
>> it shows rk3188 as the rockchip processor you were going to reverse
>> engineer. on the other hand, your rhombus-tech link shows that your
>> looking at rk3288?
>>

>> Not to be annoying constantly, but I am curious are you looking at one
>> or both?
>  just the 3288.  the 3188 i considered but it's older, cortex a9 based
> so is *really* power-hungry. i got a dev board (ok an IPTV box),
> opened it up, immediately noted the heat-sink on the 3188 and went
> "absolutely not".
>
>  the 3288 on the other hand was the first commercial A17 (i believe)
> which is a sort-of uprated version of the Cortex A7 - something like
> that, anyway.
>
>  also it can do HDMI 2.0, 4k video playback (if you push the
> dual-channel memory up to a stonking 1600mhz that is...) and it kicks
> the stuffing out of the high-end variants of the intel atom.
>
>  more than that, its popularity in chromebooks has meant that the 3288
> has a *lot* of modding and OS messing-about behind it.  that's a good
> thing in that it's well-understood, but it does make it a f*****g
> nuisance to try and find decent instructions.  i've given up on using
> google search and now go directly to #linux-rockchip on freenode.
> people there know what they're doing.

Glad to hear it! The rk3288 does sound faster judging by the specs and
considering what you said, just now I mean, it is the better choice.

I wonder how fast it will be with the eoma standard?  Probably at least
4x faster than the fastest processor on that "x200 libreboot device I am
using."

Yeah I know its not as good as what your planning, but I can wait for
ya. This is good news.

Also, it is a quad core processor and uses very little wattage hah.

I am curious by the way, how much does the intel crap use for wattage
traditionally...

Probably an insane amount I imagine. :)

(I am glad because that will give more power to arm in the future.) ;)

Thanks for the info hehe... I look forward to debian 9 on that.