[Arm-netbook] EOMA Specification / Documentation Issues

Vincent Legoll vincent.legoll at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 15:34:51 BST 2016

>> Care to elaborate a bit on that, is there more information somewhere,
>> a bug report, anything ?
>
>  *i* haven't... because the linux-sunxi community operate off of
> non-free infrastructure.

You could also report that kind of things to LKML, as a generic ARM
problem, it'll probably reach a significant part of the same people...

> if you'd like to report a bug using the
> non-free resource known as github, or would like to join their mailing
> list using the proprietary web interface, and are happy to have your
> email address and your copyrighted words treated as "advertising
> fodder" by google, please feel free to do so! :)

There are alternatives, and I don't understand why *I* should report
something I don't have experienced myself, I don't have the HW to
reproduce and is too vague... But I understand your time is precious
these days.

>>> there's clearly a bug somewhere around 4.0rc5 to 4.0rc6 which, if
>>> found, fixed, and patched, would make mainline perfectly acceptable
>>> for ongoing usage (with the EOMA68-A20).
>>
>> That should be easy enough to bissect, if you have a reproducer.
>
>  i tried: it was an absolute bitch.  as in, i tried for THREE DAYS,
> did approximately 100 kernel compiles, and still couldn't isolate it.
> the problem stems from the way that "git bisect" works, compounded by
> the fact that other kernel errors interfered with the assessment of
> whether a given kernel was "good" or "bad".

Yes, sometimes there are multiple bugs that fight against your bisection,
I already have endured one of those (in intel's drm driver), but eventually
found the culprit... It was time consuming though...

--
Vincent Legoll