[Arm-netbook] Code of conduct?

pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de
Thu Sep 22 17:29:26 BST 2016

On 09/22/2016 04:54 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 3:12 PM, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
> <pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de> wrote:
>> If there is a code of conduct, the dispute resolution process looks like
>> this: “What you did is *exactly* what is forbidden by the code of
>> conduct, so you are wrong. Case closed.”
>
>  ... which means (implies) a number things, both of which are
> sufficiently serious problems such that i fundamentally disagree that
> a CoC should be present:
>
>  (1) there has to *be* a set and pre-thought-out definition -
> associated directly with the project - in list form - some of the most
> horrible, aggressive and generally obnoxious forms of behaviour ever
> known to man.  to even have such a list of "don't"s has been
> demonstrated time and time again to be an extremely bad idea.
>
>  (2) the list *is* a set list... it can only be incomplete, thus
> defeating the object and purpose of *having* the list in the first
> place.
>
>  (3) the list is an open invitation to attack the purpose of the
> project by way of those definitions (that's if people read it in the
> first place)
>
>  (4) as mentioned in the previous message, anyone who *doesn't* read
> it will just attack anyway.
>
>  thus we can see that having any "list" of "conduct which does not
> conform to the quotes code quotes" is not just useless, it's *far
> worse* than useless, it actually brings down the entire tone of the
> project.
>
>  have you ever heard of "victim mentality"?  it's where people FEAR
> something... and thus INVITE people to attack them on precisely that
> which they fear.  examples include people walking down the street
> looking afraid, clutching their handbag: any mugger in the vicinity
> will instantly go "ah ha!  someone has something to hide that they
> fear losing!  it must be valuable!  ATTACK!!!!"
>
>  a "Code of Conduct" is therefore an OPEN INVITATION for people to attack.
>
>  so i'll say it again, so it's really really clear: there will be *NO*
> "code of conduct" deployed for ANYTHING related to EOMA68 over which i
> have any direct responsibility and/or authority.
>
>> With just the bill of ethics,
>> you may have a discussion on whether it really causes a distraction or
>> whether the victim should just accept it instead of making a fuss. Now
>> that discussion may have the same result, but it is more demanding on
>> everyone, especially the victim.
>
>  are you talking about the ethical violator considering themselves to
> be the "victim"?  or are you referring to the people whom the ethical
> violator may have adversely affected (by having had their Truth, Love,
> Awareness or Creativity reduced by the ethical violator)?
>
>  if you are referring to the person (or persons) who have had T.L.A.C.
> reduced (in direct violation of the Bill of Ethics) as "victims", then
> firstly that's not an appropriate term to use (in the context of the
> [...]

We need not continue this discussion and could instead wait and see. It
hopefully will not ever matter. I fear taking away too much of your time
when you have more urgent things to do.

But I am still unconvinced; let me list the points of disagreement
and/or possible misunderstandings:

possible misunderstanding:
A code of conduct is – unlike the bill of ethics – not even meant to be
complete and *not* intended as a replacement for the bill of ethics. It
is more like when there is precedent for a decision so when the
circumstances are the same, a decision is simple and no discussion is
needed. (Yes, some communities use the CoC for more than a list of
uncontroversial statements; this is not what I am asking for.)

possible misunderstanding:
Yes, a code of conduct is not a panacea; there will still be bad people
and there will still be trolls. It is only meant to help in *some* cases.

possible misunderstanding:
A code of conduct just (for the issues it covers) makes clear who is in
the wrong. A punishment need not be specified and need not be harsh.

disagreement:
Having a list of very general bad things does *not* make people do bad
things. A code of conduct is not like a list of unpatched security
vulnerabilities. There are codes of conduct that have been refined time
and again to not contain bad things.

disagreement:
More importantly, when it comes to harassment, the harassment is always
inappropriate no matter what the victim of the harassment did. Often
victims don’t make a legitimate complaint because they fear victim
blaming. By victim I mean the victim of a concrete act (with “T.L.A.C.
reduced”), not that the person is always a victim.