[Arm-netbook] Code of conduct?

pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de
Sat Sep 17 08:29:07 BST 2016

On 09/17/2016 04:08 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 9:06 PM, Sam Pablo Kuper
> <sampablokuper at posteo.net> wrote:
>> Does anyone else here think it would be, on balance, a good idea to
>> adopt a Code of Conduct, perhaps based on the Contributor Covenant[0],
>> for some combination of: this mailing list; the Rhombus Tech wiki?
>
> ok.  first thing that needs to be said: the wiki and the mailing list
> are there as resources (run by me) whose sole purpose is to support
> the goals of the EOMA initiative, for which (as the "Guardian of the
> EOMA Standards") i and i alone am currently directly responsible.
> "being nice" or "being inclusive" or "making people happy" is not a
> direct target, or a direct or indirect measure of success, in any way,
> as part of the responsibility of protecting the EOMA standards.

A code of conduct is only useful if there are multiple administrators
who may disagree and decisions based on policy are needed. We have to
trust Lkcl anyway.

>> http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6918
>> and
>> http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=2122
>
> i would be interested in an evaluation as to whether anyone feels that
> esr's comments are compatible with the Bill of Ethics.  my feeling is
> that they are, and that the "Contributor Covenant" most certainly is
> not.
>
> l.

They seem to be constructive (bill of ethics 3.10), but the first one
may also be a deliberate misunderstanding to convince others that
sexism/racism/… is OK (limiting the contributions and thus creativity of
affected people, see bill of rights 3.03). Accepting contributions
regardless of gender/race/… does not mean accepting contributions
regardless of quality. Criticism of meritocracy is mostly about
meritocracies not being real meritocracies, e.g. by favoring the loudest
over the silent, judging not on real merit but stereotypes, etc. (see [1]).

I don’t think creativity is the perfect basis for ethics though.

Regards,
Florian Pelz

[1] http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Meritocracy