[Arm-netbook] managed wifi network and EOMA68-A20 cards

Nick Hardiman nick at internetmachines.co.uk
Fri Sep 16 22:31:45 BST 2016

I need to put a few WIFI access points in a few rooms. One wifi router won’t do the trick - foil-backed insulation in the walls stops signals. If I built a network around EOMA68, is this a reasonable approach?

I imagine the simplest way to make one WIFI access point using an EOMA68-A20 card is to hook up a USB wifi adapter using a USB OTG cable.

To make a network of these APs with a central management console means plugging in hardware like this.

unmanaged switch

+— Internet

+— headless EOMA68

+— WIFI AP (EOMA68 and wifi adapter)

+— WIFI AP

+— WIFI AP

Then it’s all about mixing and matching software for the central console, access control, package updates and so on.

Presumably the 'sellable product' approach is to build a housing that adds POE, MIMO antennas, and IEEE 802.11ac.

USB wifi adapter
https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-wireless-n-usb-adapter-w-external-antenna-gnu-linux-tpe-n150usbl