[Arm-netbook] RAM

Vincent Legoll vincent.legoll at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 09:31:47 BST 2016

Hello,

and apologies if this already has been talked about, I tried to find
previous discussions on ML archives, elinux & rhombus sites.

It looks like the DRAM will be standard DDR3, has low power DDR3
been studied ?

Too expensive ?
No available init code ?

I ask because some other ARM boards differentiate themselves
from the other one by using LPDDR3 and that has much better
power consumption characteristics, and so do not heat as much.

The regular DDR3 ones (in certain cases have a heat problem and
have to be down-clocked to operate properly whereas the LP ones
don't...

On the same subject of heat dissipation, some boards use a layer
of the pcb just below the soc to act as a heat spreader by having
a copper area that is not used for signals, and it looks like this is
effective, because other boards that don't have it endure heat
problems.

I had a look at EOMA PCB pictures, but I lack knowledge to definitely
tell if there is such a copper layer provisioned.

Thanks

And Luke, don't overwhelm yourself into burn out.

--
Vincent Legoll