[Arm-netbook] An update on the OLIMEX TERES-I laptop

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Sep 2 02:08:55 BST 2016

---

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 1:34 AM, Mike Leimon <leimon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh yeah, I stumbled across this blog update yesterday as well.
>
> https://olimex.wordpress.com/2016/08/31/teres-i-diy-open-source-hardware-hackers-laptop-update/
>
> Now I do realize that yet again that some people around here aren't the
> biggest fans of OLIMEX however, keep in mind that I'm not submitting this to
> ruffle any feathers.

 no, appreciated mike.  the one good thing that tsvetan is doing is
interacting with people, letting them know this kind of stuff.

> I just found this blog post to be quite interesting in
> that it describes a lot of similar problems and issues I've read about in
> one form or another on the mailing list. It seems to me that they still have
> a lot of work ahead of them before they start to get anywhere.

 yyep... i have an advantage here in that i don't have an "established
business" to look after.  i can't exactly "drop everything" because i
have a family... so we're all going to HK / Taiwan / China, together.

> I personally think that the modular CPU card design is vastly superior
> however,

 well, look at the efforts above when dealing with customs.  i'm
giving serious consideration to doing "split consignment" shipping
from HK / China (like they do with ebay / amazon on a maaaassive
scale) so that delays such as they're experiencing can be avoided.

 but moving on from there, look at how few parts there are when you
come to upgrade: there's... err... one!  the new computer card!  and
the import duty and tax on that will be negligeable.