[Arm-netbook] New Open Access Journal for Open Source Hardware

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Sep 1 19:15:22 BST 2016

---

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 7:04 PM, Mike Leimon <leimon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> One of my friends brought this new open access journal to my attention this
> morning. Apparently, it is just starting up now and looking for an initial
> call for papers.
>
> http://www.journals.elsevier.com/hardwarex/

 appreciated.

> Ordinarily, I wouldn't have brought this up at all however, since it appears
> this is going to be an open access journal, I am thinking that it may in
> fact be handled in a manner that is compatible with the spirit and the goals
> of the EOMA-68 project. Given the readership of scholarly journals, an
> effort to get a publication about this new open hardware standard could
> result a lot of interest and adoption within the scientific community.
> Perhaps if that comes to fruition, we may see EOMA-68 cards adopted as
> components used within custom sensors or instrumentation.
>
> Anyhow, I'd say looking into this may be worth at least a few minutes of
> time.

 did that.... it's associated with the "OSHWA".

 they use the phrase "open source hardware".  as in, it's okay to
create hardware with built-in DRM locking, Tivoisation and other
unethical traps that are disguised as "open" but in fact mislead
people and entrap them.

 if they change the name to "libre hardware" - where we then also have
to define "hardware" as well (as it could refer to silicon, designs,
casework, or even just to "the manufacture of spoons" - nothing to do
with computers at all) i'll be more inclined to be involved.

 as it is i have so much to do over the next few months that i have to
decline... much as i am grateful that you brought it up, mike.  if
anyone else feels confident about writing something and presenting it
please feel free, i'll be happy to review it.