[Arm-netbook] Block Diagram - ZEOMA - Handheld Games Console

Eric Duhamel ericxdu23 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 18:05:18 BST 2016

On October 18, 2016 5:28:42 AM PDT, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:

>the really *really* nice thing about descent is that it actually works
>well on 320x240 on 16mhz 386s all the way up to modern systems.

I almost find this incredible! Considering games like Doom ran on a few Mhz and NO 3D acceleration, I expect them to run comfortably on modern 1 Ghz computers, but in my experience Freedoom runs slow as a snail on an ARM board. Is there some factor I'm missing? Perhaps the SDL abstraction layer gets in the way of fast direct-architecture code?

I'm tempted to see about compiling that free Descent source and see what you mean. I have the data files in my possession somewhere.

--
Eric Duhamel
http://www.noxbanners.net/