[Arm-netbook] Some Pine64 Experiences (via Planet Debian)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Oct 12 03:54:55 BST 2016

On 10/11/16, Wookey <wookey at wookware.org> wrote:
> On 2016-10-11 19:11 +0200, Paul Boddie wrote:

> I don't really know about the pine people specifically, but having
> recently met with a guy from Allwinner (who is paying Luke to educate
> his engineers :-)

correction / misunderstanding: he's not.

> They have noticed the persistent bad press/poor reputation and have
> understood that what geeks think does actually matter in the long
> term, as does upstreaming.

well, it's about to get a hell of a lot worse.  i flew 20,000 miles
round the world, was invited here to speak with their engineers, help
them out, set up a FusionForge for them, make it possible for them to
present the R-Series processors to open hardware and software libre
people across the world, even present the idea of using RISC-V and
Nyuzi 3D for a future processor...

... and i learn the day after that from being on their premises for
only five hours i've been accused of being here to commit industrial
espionage, to steal their proprietary source code.

now, from 20 years experience i know that i cannot work with engineers
who do not welcome what i have to say or contribute.  in this case i
cannot even be in the building because there is the opportunity that
if someone else *does* actually commit industrial espionage, they
might accuse *me* - and the person who invited me into the building -
of being the one that stole the code.

this from the company that's been stealing software libre source and
profiting with complete disregard or respect for the people whose work
they critically rely on.

i'm really upset.

i'll be leaving zhuhai either today or tomorrow.

if they apologise i'll come back.

irony is that i need somewhere to live for myself and my family, and
zhuhai looks like it's the best place to be.