[Arm-netbook] C++ features

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Oct 2 17:59:58 BST 2016

On Sunday 2. October 2016 18.42.00 FaTony wrote:
> > I imagine that the supported gcc version will be that provided by the
> > distributions being offered. For Debian, you can find out versions by
>
> > searching on the packages site:
> Hmm, what version of Debian is preinstalled in the Debian card? I've
> read that it uses custom linux-sunxi kernel so thought it's some kind of
> a custom distro.

I don't know the official situation, but the kernel need not have any impact
on the distribution. For example, I compile my own kernel for a MIPS-based
device I occasionally use, but it still runs the standard distribution of
Debian.

People have "spun" their own custom distributions for various devices, but
that usually happens out of necessity (using an unsupported architecture
variant, for example) and/or under some impression that things can be
"optimised" for a particular piece of hardware. But it should be the last
resort if only because distributing the software will generally bring with it
a significant support obligation. (The distributor will need to offer the
software semi-permanently with corresponding sources and ongoing updates.)

I imagine that Luke will try and stay as close to the upstream distributions
as possible. That's what I would do, anyway.

Paul

P.S. The effort of "spinning up" a distribution is arguably a lot greater than
just getting a bootloader and kernel working for a device, which is why I was
surprised that he dropped the jz4775 card, given that it only needed
confirmation that u-boot and the Linux kernel were compatible. But then again,
he also wanted FSF "Respects Your Freedom" certification for the distribution,
and none of the certified distributions support mipsel: Debian does (and is
not certified), but gNewSense (being Debian filtered for RYF certification
purposes) does not presently (and without suitable hardware probably won't in
future, either).