[Arm-netbook] OT: The U.S. Needs to Stop Lecturing the Rest of the World About Internet Values

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Mon Nov 28 10:07:30 GMT 2016

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 01:27:00AM +0000, Alexander Ross wrote:
> off topic:
>
> I’m finding this insightful as to why luke was treated the way he was by
> a number of allwinner :( people:
>
> http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2016/11/the_u_s_should_stop_lecturing_about_internet_values.html
>
> bit in particular i just read:

I mostly liked the bits in the end:

"

When President Obama paraphrases the U.S. cybersecurity strategy at a
town hall meeting in China as “the more freely information flows, the
stronger societies become,” China thinks, “You’re a guest and that’s
just rude.”

When the U.S. says, “We will work with partners in industry, academia,
and NGOs to harness the power of connection technologies and apply them
to our diplomatic goals,” Russia thinks, “We were so right to kick out
those foreign NGOs.”

"

I'd also like to add my own:

When the U.S. says: "We would like your citizens to have proper access
to the Internet", North Korea thinks, "We are to allow our citizens to
hear what happens in the South and to hear slander about our fearless
leader."

I love the smell of post-truth in the morning. Also, I guess you have a
really good internet connection in Shenzen.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is
tzafrir at cohens.org.il |                    |  best