[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 libre laptop and microdesktop, soon to launch

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon May 23 16:18:13 BST 2016

hi folks very busy here, also packing up as we're leaving holland, and
been ill for several days *and* getting the portable 3d printer up and
running - it's all happening.  we're due to launch soon, and are
applying for RYF Certification to cover the average end-user.  spoke
to josh gay about that, he confirmed that the FSF is in no way
concerned about the average technical user (which all of us are here
on arm-netbooks), it's when proprietary software is available and
installed via an easy click-point interface with absolutely no
warnings whatsoever.  so we've worked out the procedures for applying
for and then including a RYF-Certified product on the same launch page
as the rest.  it's very specific but we'll manage fine.

nearly there, thank you to everyone for being so patient.  EOMA68 is a
long-term standard that has to be right first time it goes out.
there's no possibility for correcting mistakes, as it would cause
confusion.  confusion automatically means failure so that can't
happen.  which is why i've had to bite the bullet, update the
standard, and start again with the prototypes three times now, costing
around $USD 10k each time.  it is what it is.  but i'm finally happy
with the standard, the proof-of-concept, whilst in bits, works 100%,
the modifications required are minor, so we launch.

l.

---