[Arm-netbook] Future CPU cards

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Sun Jul 31 14:51:32 BST 2016

Not wanting to revisit the discussion about the A20 but, instead, think about
other processors that might perform better in the comparison table on this
page: http://rhombus-tech.net/crowdsupply/

I have no idea if it's even reasonable to discuss these as possible options,
so don't all jump on me at once. :-)

For example, the i.MX 6UltraLite could be interesting because it doesn't, as
far as I can tell, contain a GPU:

https://www.nxp.com/iMX6UltraLite

I suppose some might think of it as the runt of the i.MX6 litter for that
reason. ;-)

Some of the other processor families seem to be quite frugal with regards to
power consumption, and can still support reasonable display resolutions.
I'm thinking of the i.MX507, but perhaps also the i.MX512:

https://www.nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/arm-
processors/i.mx-applications-processors/i.mx50-processors/multimedia-
applications-processors-low-power-optimization-integrated-electronic-paper-
display-epd-arm-cortex-a8-core:i.MX507

I have an eReader that uses an i.MX507, so I'm probably a bit biased towards
that processor.

https://www.nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/arm-
processors/i.mx-applications-processors/i.mx51-processors/applications-
processors-high-performance-low-power-arm-cortex-a8-core:i.MX512

I realise that these also require support ICs, so perhaps that might make
them unattractive.

Anyway, something to think about.

David