[Arm-netbook] Ethernet with pass-through card

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Wed Jul 27 08:00:56 BST 2016

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Stephen Paul Weber
> <singpolyma at singpolyma.net> wrote:
>>> I think you need to buy an additional Ethernet-to-USB adapter.
>>

>> Would be nice if such an adapter were part of a housing, but I realise
>> there's limited resources for the housings already on offer.  Thoughts for
>> the future, I suppose :)
>
>  yeahyeah.  LAN9512 on-board, so you don't lose the number of USB
> ports.  the BOM in volume of the micro-desktop is going to be around
> $6-7.  a variant with a USB-ETH on-board would be around $2 more and
> the casework would have to be slightly larger... big redesign,
> different product basically.

That's going to be hard-wired to a USB hub, I presume?

Would it not be better to provide one or two internal USB sockets, into
which one could put an Ethernet USB-stick if that's what one wanted, but
would also allow one to alternatively add a wifi stick, or bluetooth, or
say a chaos-key: http://altusmetrum.org/ChaosKey/

Cheers, Phil.