[Arm-netbook] What I have done so far

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Jul 25 23:43:27 BST 2016

---

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 11:29 PM, David Boddie <david at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon Jul 25 23:02:45 BST 2016, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
>> much as i am reluctant to publish such an analysis, you asked the
>> question david so i am summarising the key points of the various
>> discussions of the past few years: you can see clearly that the
>> analysis is not unreasonable.  if anybody does know how to contact
>> them, perhaps you might consider passing on the above analysis to them
>> for their consideration.
>
> Thanks for the detailed response!
>
> I feel a bit bad now because I was probably a bit unclear. I was more
> thinking about a use case inspired by Manuel's mail, where someone might
> consider buying a CPU card and adapting their old, unused or broken laptop to
> use the new CPU.
>
> Obviously, old laptops are not designed to work this way.

 ... sadly... correct.  as i learned the hard way: casework, pcb *and*
component sourcing *have* to all be done together.  even just one
component that you leave until last can have massive and total
redesign implications because it's either not available (at all, or
just "to you, the low-volume buyer"...) or the version you can get has
pinouts that don't suit either the casework or PCB that you designed
up until that point...

 ... now you know why i prefer 3D-printing...

> Perhaps there's an
> interesting maker/hacker/homebrew project for someone to try.

 yes, ah, now that's totally different, and it's why i added the
break-out board, because people can always get a simple converter
board, drop in a huuub, drop in a few components, it's a learning
experience, then, so actual cost is less important.

> I'm hoping to
> reuse my old laptop for new things, but not quite like this. :-)

 yyeah.... :)