[Arm-netbook] What I have done so far

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Jul 25 22:10:42 BST 2016

---

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 11:10 AM, Russell Hyer <russell.hyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys, Hi gals
>
> I still have yet to purchase a pre-ordered kit, but I'll do so before
> your campaign runs down.

 awesome, thanks russell

> Obviously, I understand this is early days, and your current kit so
> far as I understand doesn't include USB3 and potentially doesn't
> include enough voltage for what I would consider a cool use of the
> tech;

 it's covered in the q/a on the questions... hang on, i had to cut the
official one quite short, the longer explanation is on here
 http://rhombus-tech.net/crowdsupply/ search for "SATA"

> though, like I say, it might not be technically possible up
> front. So, you may have seen displaylink monitors

 yeah back in 2010 or so i helped bernie out with testing a UD-160A
and one of the 7in 800x600 USB-powered monitors to get it working with
ARM, there was a little-endian byte-swapped issue in the linux kernel
driver, bernie fixed that.

> (of course, I'm not
> quite sure of the libre-ness of these monitors,

 fully GPLv2 compliant (at least the UD-160A and the 7in USB-powered monitor is)

>  but I use one on my
> Mac Mini and it does provide a neat way of lugging around a 17 inch
> monitor without the drag of anything other than a USB 3 cable).

... i did 4 screens on a mac laptop by adding one via a UD-160A... :)

> In theory these also support GNU/Linux devices as well.

 in *reality* i *know* that the USB2 ones work perfectly.

> (But I haven't
> yet bought a USB 3 card for my libre IBM to test this out in reality).

 i've not bought a USB3 one, i don't trust USB3 yet.  heard about all
the problems.... and now i am testing out TP150 802.11n WIFI dongles
with the EOMA68-A20, guess what's happening?  grrr....
https://lists.ath9k.org/pipermail/ath9k-devel/2016-July/014729.html

> But, whilst I would still want to support your computer system at this
> stage, as regards daily, repeated usage in the earliest stages, I feel
> supporting that type of hardware may be required and would allow the
> net top version of the device to become more laptop-esque.)

 yeahyeah - no i get it: tested already back in 2010, on a beagleboard
clone: worked great.

> Thanks in advance for answering my question, and thanks again for this
> great project.

 thanks russell.