[Arm-netbook] First push to EOMA-68 firmware :)

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Sat Jul 23 16:52:37 BST 2016

Hi Luke,

Le Tue, 19 Jul 2016 17:44:17 +0100
Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> a écrit:

> ---
> crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware:
> https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
>

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 11:30 AM, Albert ARIBAUD
> <albert.aribaud at free.fr> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Just did a quick "git push" to test that I can actually push onto
> > the EOMA-68 EC firmware repo. Changes are trivial: on branch master,
> > I just did some cleanup of main.c; more to come soon.
>
>  awesome.  btw please don't remove things that are commented out, #if
> 0 them out instead - they're usually there for some sort of debug or
> experimentation purposes.

I'll put them back, see below.

Still, some conditionally compiled code *can* be cleaned up. One
obvious example is the code in main.c which sets up the system tick: we
know the EC microcontroller is going to be the STM32F072 no matter
what, so __ARM_ARCH_6M__ is going to always be defined and we can do
away with the inner #if/#else/#endif; and we need the system tick, so
the outer #if 1 / #endif can go away too.

>  also: there is a chromebook using the STM32F072 with keyboard
> controller firmware as well, it's quite hard to understand.

Noted, thanks.

>  one major thing that needs doing is to add a 2nd USB-HID "mouse"
> endpoint, starting possible with the mouse usb-hid example which makes
> the cursor move backwards and forwards.  i happen to have a
> dual-keyboard-and-mouse logitech thing so the dual endpoint is
> attached just so we don't lose track... i'll also add it here
>
>  http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/laptop_15in/pcb2/usbhid.txt

Thanks. I'll add that to my TODO list. :)

> > Also, I created a new branch, "aaribaud/nucleo-f072rb", for stuff
> > which allow/help developing the EC firmware on the NUCLEO dev
> > board. That branch is intended to stay rebased on top of "master".
> >
> > Luke: right now I intend to keep on pushing onto master; but maybe
> > you prefer that I push onto a dev branch (e.g. "aaribaud/master"),
> > and from time to time you or I do a merge into master?
>
>  naah, haven't got time to mess about with branches, unless it's a
> really big rewrite that needs everyone to work *in* that branch.

OK -- I'll rollback my initial change and commit back a version with
test code kept in (and timer tick code simplified).

BTW, I now have the keyboard, and have soldered the FPC connector to a
breakout flat wire ribbon which I will be able to connect to the board!

Of course, I goofed up when I set out soldering, and every pair of wires
on the ribbon is swapped, i.e. FPC pin #1 is ribbon wire #2, FPC pin #2
is ribbon wire #1, FPC pin #3 is ribbon wire 4, FPC pin #4 is wire #3,
etc... :) Still, despite my terrible soldering inability, no wire is
cut or shorted to another one, so as long as I keep the swapping in
mind while plugging the ribbon's wires onto the board, everything
should work fine. :)

Amicalement,
--
Albert.