[Arm-netbook] simplest internet connection

Nick Hardiman nick at internetmachines.co.uk
Sun Jul 17 12:30:37 BST 2016

> On 17 Jul 2016, at 02:37, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:

Thanks for this - a very helpful answer.

> On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 11:13 PM, Nick Hardiman
> <nick at internetmachines.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> What is the simplest way to hook up a card like this to the Internet?
>
> $5 USB-Ethernet dongle.  okay, $5 if you're happy to get onto amazon :)
> if you investigate what thinkpenguin is selling, those are the kinds of
> products you will know will "just work" - no firmware needed, they're
> "pure hardware" usb-eth dongles.  i'm using a qca9600 and axis ones,
> they work out-of-the-box with the right linux kernel module compiled.
>
> you'll also need one of the cable kits... you don't necessarily need the
> HDMI cable... you could pick up the original one on amazon that we
> ordered and tested…
> depending on how many of these you're looking to get, it might be
> easier to get a micro-desktop housing simply so that you are in a
> position to investigate things (pop out the "Server" SD Card, put
> in the "Desktop" SD card, check that the hardware's okay).

So if I got this right, I can set up a card with network access in three ways - a minimal standalone setup, a full desktop setup, or a PCB for many cards. First two are linked to the current crowdsourcing campaign, third one is a future enhancement.

Here’s what I understand about the first two. This look right? Please excuse my rough ASCII connections diagrams

a minimal standalone setup

power socket

power plug, $6
delivering at least 3 watts, so thats practically any USB charger
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Wall-Charger-Outlet-Output/dp/B005CG2ATQ/ref=sr_1_7

USB OTG cable, $1.63 (!)
https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Cable-Power-Samsung-Player/dp/B00CXAC1ZW/
or
USB + HDMI Cable Set, $15
https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop
|  |
|  USB to Ethernet adapter
|  This one seems to contain an ASIX chip (AX88178)
|  $25
|  http://plugable.com/products/usb2-e1000
|  |
|  Network cable, to the network, say $10

Libre Tea Computer Card, $65

a full desktop setup, for seeing boot loader and kernel messages

Libre Tea Computer Card
$65
https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop

Micro Desktop Housing
$55
https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop
|  |  |
|  |  Network cable, to the network, say $10
|  |
|  Keyboard, Video, Mouse, say $100

power plug (a USB charger?)