[Arm-netbook] crowd funding updates

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Jul 7 16:50:53 BST 2016

---

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 3:26 PM, Russell Hyer <russell.hyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> i plan to buy quite a few myself as money invents itself; is it necessary to
> fund the project by effectively preordering or funding the programme or is
> it enough to order when these items are ready to purchase

 it's critically dependent on the preordering (aka pledges).  the
pledges are required to cover the MOQ of (average) 250 units.  only
once we've reached the $150k (or possibly just before then) will there
be the possibility to *not* need to put in a pledge before then.

 if you're familiar with crowd-funding, the general idea is that
factories have to have a minimum order quantity (MOQ), and the
component prices are cheaper in bulk, as well as the assembly is
cheaper per unit.

 plus, they want cash... up-front.

 bottom line: we *need* to reach that target.... otherwise *nobody*
gets *anything*.