[Arm-netbook] phoronix forum user violating terms of use, help needed keeping an eye on him

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Jul 3 17:45:10 BST 2016

On Sunday 3. July 2016 07.53.04 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 5:59 AM, Hrvoje Lasic <lasich at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Luke,
> >
> > It is all this but i dont believe that reporting him is a good way to
> > handle difficult people.
>
>  when they're breaking the terms of service of the site, and they're
> bringing the forum into disrepute as a result.... yeah.
>
> >  Ask for advise, do trial&error, dont treat this guy as an enemy but
> >  rather
> >
> > opportunity to improve your overall communication and product or if you
> > really think it is not owrthy, ignore him.
>
>  on it.

Yes, it's not worth spending time on these people. Everyone can see that
you've been constructive and actually doing stuff whereas those people are
just pundits, impatiently stamping their feet for people to bring them the
latest and shiniest, having no idea of the cost of anything, and insulting
people trying to educate them.

I also find it remarkable that so many people care about GPL violations all of
a sudden. They probably all have smartphones whose vendors ship licence-
violating blobs, not to mention the surveillance-enabled firmware all those
things are presumably running, but because they felt that they got a great
deal with their quad-core, multi-gigahertz, big-screen monster they're
probably proud to give those smartphone and chipset vendors their repeated
custom.

It's also worth noting that people like the Software Freedom Conservancy, who
are regularly criticised by cowardly anti-copyleft trolls for supposedly
making businesses afraid of copyleft, actually believe in constructively
resolving licence violations through as many avenues as possible before even
considering litigation. All those suddenly-vocal people sure have strong
opinions about something they will nevertheless do absolutely nothing about
themselves.

Myself, I thought it positive that you convinced at least one person to re-
evaluate their position and to take a proper look at the campaign. By staying
positive, all the vocal naysayers are easily seen to be the trolls they really
are. And their forum thread outbursts are easily forgotten as more articles
and news appears, of course.

Paul