[Arm-netbook] libre laptop early kits: planning

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Feb 14 19:49:10 GMT 2016

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 7:08 PM, Alexander .S.T. Ross
<maillist_arm-netbook at aross.me> wrote:
> I'm very keen. priority for my slot goes to devs but other wise ill very
> happy have one :D.  Though I would need the laptop case, can pay extra
> for that.

 well i'll see how many we get, and we'll see how many the sponsor can do.

> I assume its better to piggy back on the print job than to try
> to print it my self :) or at least it would be a lot more convenient for
> me :).

 honestly it'll save a huge amount of hassle - you will however need
to trim the parts [key files, scalpel] - there are underside supports
that will need removing.  the alternative is to use that water-soluble
plastic as underside support, which also would save a lot of time.

 example: i just printed the BASE_MID part at 0.1mm layer resolution:
it just took 3h15m.  the most extreme part (at 0.1mm layer height) is
the BASE_BACK part (qty 2) which takes just over 4 hours.

 those times can be pretty much cut in 1/2 (or more) by using 0.2mm
layer height... but i found that the curving on the corners means that
you then need extra time "trimming" to get them to fit together,
whereas at 0.1mm layer height it's just a quick "swipe with the file".

 on the new sponsor's 3d printers, it's highly likely that even "swipe
with the file" won't be needed.

 short answer: yes, saves a looot of time if someone else can print
these parts - 0.2mm you're looking at around 8 hours, 0.1mm almost 20
hours.

> Software wise things are nearly there right?

 i've got working keyboard firmware - working being "if you don't type
200wpm it's fine".  trackpad needs doing - it's possible to talk I2C.
about a week's worth of software-writing there and it's all good.

 micro-sd, usb hub, LCD screen, audio - demo'd well over a month ago,
all working.

> Looking forward to the day of taking lots of photos of #ILoveEOMA heh

 :)