[Arm-netbook] fosdem2016

GaCuest gacuest at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 12:20:07 GMT 2016

En 5 de febrero de 2016 en 12:36:19, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton (lkcl at lkcl.net) escrito:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 9:34 AM, GaCuest wrote:
>
> >> remember, this is *not* a "give up after 6-8 months" project, it's a
> >> "remain committed for the next 10-12 years" project.
> >

> > The problem is that if you sell a few units will not have
> > money to make more EOMA-68 (or devices) and will also
> > be difficult to attract more investors.
>
> that is not a problem, because i have sponsors - not investors.
> investors demand short-term profits and dividends. there is a place
> for investors, but that place is later.
>
> also for example: i met someone at fosdem2016 who is willing to pay
> cash up-front to purchase a number of early-adopter kits, and he will
> go round the world selling those kits, arranging workshops where
> people may come along and assemble their products. those people will
> be *delighted* to assemble their own eco-conscious laptop, and the
> person sponsoring the kits loves to see that sort of thing happen.
>
> where you perceive there to be "problem" there is in fact no such
> thing. that is just one door closing and saying "you don't do it this
> way, because that's not good for the project. find another way".
>
> > For example, Aaron sold slow and left the project.
>
> which says "this is not the right way", and in fact that turns out to
> be absolutely correct. if you recall, aaron's associates attempted to
> become the world leading authority on the EOMA68 standard, telling
> people for example that "Multi-port SATA would be supported in a
> future version of EOMA68". they were NOT AUTHORISED to make ANY such
> misleading statements that could completely destroy four years of
> extremely thorough and careful analysis.
>
> basically they thought that they could take control of the entire
> project, and they did not listen to my advice. many of the lessons
> that i had already learned (which took time to learn) they ignored.
> and because of the mistakes, aaron ran out of funds before we could
> solve the mistakes that had been made.
>
> but that's ok - we learned some important lessons. we learned the
> ways how *not* to succeed. and, critically, the people who had tried
> to take control of the project were no longer interested in it.
>

> > And in addition to paying the hardware, you have to pay
> > salaries for people who develop software, advertising, and so on.
> > So you need a lot of money.
>
> no, not really. there are other business models. creative
> solutions come out of *not* having a lot of money. wealth comes from
> your own mind, *not* from actual physical cash.
>
> business is defined as "providing a service and being financially
> adequately rewarded for doing so". there are many many ways to
> provide a service that achieves the end-goal. those ways do not
> necessarily *have* to involve "having a lot of money, personally".
>
> in the past few weeks it's become clear to me that "money" equates
> pretty much directly proportionally to "environmental impact". even
> in the case of the ipad 1 which cost only $USD 125 to make, foxconn
> [...]

I may have misspoke. In my opinion, the EOMA-68 project is very
good. The problem is that I see it from a very ambitious view, a
project to change the world.

Perhaps your view is better. We must be realistic. It is a small
company, so we have to do the simplest project. First do simple
devices (one EOMA-68 basic with Allwinner A20 with a simple
notebook, a simple tablet, a simple games console...) to sell
between developers and fans of the genre, and then expand
the concept to ordinary people with more complex and powerful
devices. And try to do cheap products (at first) to avoid losing
money if very few units sold.