[Arm-netbook] fosdem2016

GaCuest gacuest at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 09:34:11 GMT 2016

En 4 de febrero de 2016 en 19:31:29, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton (lkcl at lkcl.net) escrito:
> ---
> crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
>

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 6:08 PM, GaCuest wrote:
>
> >> good for you! so the question becomes: is it worthwhile for you to
> >> spend the time as an early adopter, to help "prove the concept" - i'm
> >> pretty sure it'd be possible to find a home for the end result (i have
> >> to give one to dr stallman for example).
> >>

> > Well, maybe the problem is that the project initially was too ambitious
> > for a small company.
> >
> > I remember when EOMA-68 would be sold in stores and you could
> > put it on any kind of device. It was a very good idea, but very difficult
> > to do (at least without the money of a big company).
>
> not really. remember that i am doing this as a very long-term
> project. it's not a "if it doesn't succeed in the first 8 months give
> up and go do something else" project.
>
> > The problem is that people will be reluctant to buy a computer with
> > Allwinner A20. Even the people will be reluctant to buy a computer
> > without Windows or Linux (x86).
>
> the entire EOMA68 concept is based around upgradeability. i *don't
> care* that the A20 is "old" - it's "good enough". and in the future,
> because of the upgradeability, other SoCs will be along and will fit
> into the form-factor - double the RAM, double the speed, double the
> storage.
>
> remember, this is *not* a "give up after 6-8 months" project, it's a
> "remain committed for the next 10-12 years" project.

The problem is that if you sell a few units will not have
money to make more EOMA-68 (or devices) and will also
be difficult to attract more investors. For example, Aaron sold
slow and left the project.

And in addition to paying the hardware, you have to pay
salaries for people who develop software, advertising, and so on.
So you need a lot of money.

I guess you maybe think the community develop the software,
but if you sell little units, it is difficult to attract the scene.
For example, only devices that sell a lot like Raspberry have
a good scene.

> > Perhaps it would be interesting to establish requirements for
> > software and minimum hardware requirements as did 96boards.
>
> no. absolutely not. ok, clarification: the standard defines the
> minimum hardware requirements, in terms of what interfaces MUST be
> provided (even if they're lower speed).
>
> but software-wise: how can you define minimum software requirements
> for a pass-through card? you can't. how can you define minimum
> software requirements for an FPGA-based card? you can't.
>
> the whole point of the exercise is that there should be a *range* of
> CPU Cards. i've discovered a $3.50 SoC from Ingenic that has 128mb of
> built-in RAM. it's possible to create a 2-layer PCB based around it.
> total BOM could well be around the $8 mark.
>
> ... should i define "minimum software requirements" that exclude the
> possibility of creating such a low-cost CPU Card? hell no!!
>
> now, if that $3.50 SoC happened not to have the required SD/MMC
> interface, or happened not to have 18-pin RGB/TTL which could do
> 1366x768, or anything else, *then* it automatically gets excluded.

I understand what you say. I mean that much variety can
confuse non-expert people. For example, a classification.
Can anyone buy an EOMA-68 destined for a router and put
it in a laptop? Not now.

Or you create an OS that suits each device, or you create a
classification or similar.