[Arm-netbook] fosdem2016

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Feb 3 19:28:20 GMT 2016

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 7:02 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 6:33 PM, Wookey <wookey at wookware.org> wrote:
>> More performance, bigger batteries, fans, heatsinks, ABS cases, metal
>> frame in decent ones (the PItop shows how much heavier an ABS

 ... i also am relying on the (unnecessarily overengineered) solid
strength of the 1.5mm PCBs themselves, and will use double-sided tape
to stick the bamboo plywood to it. i'm not expecting anything to
break, there.

 also, the front and back parts i use the same internal buttressing
that you get inside old cathedrals.  it's pretty freakishly strong,
and the profile is dual-curved anyway.  to get a 5mm bend i have to
apply enough pressure so that my thumbs actually hurt.  the screen
edges however i'm relying on the metal case of the LCD, which i
believe is pretty much the case for every single LCD lid out there.

>> I had a quick look but failed to find details of the screen, keyboard,
>> boards and 3D parts online, other than scattered through many mailing
>> list-messages. Never mind info like the above. Is there a page that
>> actually has the info someone keen would need to get started?
>
>  eek - sorry :)  i usually maintain a page that has them but haven't
> put it together yet - give me a mo and it'll be at
> http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/laptop_15in/

 ok that's done - if you want some schematics etc give me a bit longer
as i have to redo all three PCBs, as they all need corrections.

 * PCB1 i've almost finished the 2nd revision, it was actually only
minor changes needed (except for getting the USB and LVDS connectors
backwards... *sigh*...)

 * PCB2 i have to redo to use the new Frida LCD.  the one from the old
supplier, bless 'em, they _just_ didn't get it that you actually have
to provide... y'know... feedback to the customer, and an accurate
datasheet?

 * PCB3 i have to almost completely redo from scratch, using the
bq24193 and an appropriate QFN coulomb battery monitor IC.  it's only
2 ICs and about 40 components but i need clarification from TI on how
to deal with the I2C interface (which appears to be a fixed 1.8v
design... *sigh*...)