[Arm-netbook] fosdem2016

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Wed Feb 3 18:33:32 GMT 2016

+++ Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton [2016-02-02 20:10 +0000]:
> > Thing is, that project is stalled because a) Andy is working on both
> > another project and deisgning/building a new house and b) they have
> > failed to get AMD to commit to chip supply. So currently your design
> > is looking a lot more like it might actually happen than theirs.
>
> *sigh* yeahh, it's quite likely that AMD hasn't actually got *anyone*
> who's committed to it...

Softiron is selling hardware based on the AMD seattle,
http://softiron.co.uk/products/ and there are 96board husky prototypes
which I expect to be actually available as a board 'RSN'.
So they have at least one real customer.

> which is precisely why they should give them
> some ICs due to the extremely high strategic value (debian developers
> for goodness sake!!)... but can you get that across to AMD's marketing
> and Directors?  mmm...

They did indeed agree in priciple but it neve actually
happenned. There was much ructions at ADM last year I think. They had
more important things to worry about.

> > Good to see you at the weekend, and have a 'heft' of the machine.
>
>  yeah you too - it's been a bit weird focussing so heavily on this
> stuff for such a long time.
>
>  1.1kg - it's peanuts.  i'm kinda confused as to why 15.6in laptops
> are 2.3kg and above.

More performance, bigger batteries, fans, heatsinks, ABS cases, metal
frame in decent ones (the PItop shows how much heavier an ABS
injection-moulded case is - A brick in comparison). Yours feels too
light to be very robust, but I guess we'll see. The lightness helps
itself to some degree, in the way of insects being unaffected by
falls.

I'm used to a solid lenovo X-series...

> > It was nice :-) I feel inspired to update my eoma card and print some
> > parts...
>
>  awesome.  well, the rev 1.1 card that you have should work with a bit
> of modification - there's a couple of jumper leads you need to run,
> i've modded one here - you'll only be able to run the LCD at 100%
> brightness unless you compile up a software-PCM linux kernel module
> and do a few other tricks.... just running 3.3v to the pin that's now
> allocated as "PWM0" is the easiest temporary solution.

I had a quick look but failed to find details of the screen, keyboard,
boards and 3D parts online, other than scattered through many mailing
list-messages. Never mind info like the above. Is there a page that
actually has the info someone keen would need to get started?

>  but, it would only be needed for a few months: i need to do another
> production run (rev 2.5) of the EOMA68-A20 PCB so there are more on
> the way.  ethernet is going, so you need to be prepared for that, and
> have a USB-ETH dongle kicking around.

Boo. But yes OK, that's do-able.

What I really want is either an A64 EOMA68 board, or a baseboard
that'll take the pine64...(as discussed, subject to heat
limits). Still, that's all 'just hardware' (ha ha).

Wookey
http://wookware.org/